Los Angeles, CA – University Park Campus
The Human Resources/Payroll Department at the USC Viterbi School of Engineering seeks an outstanding candidate to join our staff as a Payroll Associate (Payroll Processor II). Initially reporting to Payroll Director, the Payroll Associate will provide transactional support for all facets of student payroll administration for a large and complex organization.
The right candidate for this position is an agile, adaptable, and collegial professional that is eager to support and learn from a team of senior HR and payroll professionals that collective support approximately 400 staff positions, 500 faculty positions, and thousands of student workers.
The Payroll Associate’s primary role will be to transact a high volume of student payroll processes. The Associate will execute a range of payroll transactions in Workday, USC’s human resource information system, and in other university/Viterbi systems. The Payroll Associate will additionally support employee onboarding, including conducting I-9 verifications, as well as payroll reconciliation. They will provide other administrative support as needed to senior HR and payroll personnel.
The Viterbi HR/Payroll team prizes colleagues that work efficiently and harmoniously with a wide range of stakeholders. We seek a candidate that demonstrates excellent interpersonal communication, a passion for process, a knack for numbers, an innate attention to detail, strong organizational and writing skills, and an ability to thrive in a high-volume, multi-task-oriented environment. This is a hybrid position with an anticipated 2-day in person schedule on USC’s main campus (3 days remote).
The responsibilities of this role include but are not limited to:
- Viterbi-wide payroll operations. Sorts, prioritizes, reviews, and processes incoming payroll/personnel documents. Processes new hires, exceptions, transfers, promotions, pay instructions, payroll accounting adjustments, on demand check requests, overpayments, and ITIN/SSN updates. Executes other payroll transactions in the myViterbi system and in Workday. Answers general policy and procedure questions. Investigates and resolves problems. Supports Viterbi Payroll Working Group by managing payroll website/intranet, and helping to develop and encode School-wide operating procedures and training materials.
- Student payroll operations. Processes a high volume of student payroll transactions efficiently and accurately. Executes transactions in USC (Workday) and Viterbi systems. Works closely with Viterbi Admissions and Student Engagement (VASE) to set up and monitor fellowship payments for student that are Non-Resident Aliens.
- Departmental payroll operations. Directly supports assigned academic units during periods of high-volume operations, generally at the beginning/end of each semester at USC.
- Physical checks. Manages physical check distributions across all Viterbi departments. Maintains physical check log and attendant communications. Ensures that checks related to the California Work Study Program (CWSP) are distributed to departments and tracks and resolves late and/or missing items.
This is a new position at the Viterbi School. Job duties may be added or modified as needed.
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are central to the mission of the USC Viterbi School of Engineering. Viterbi staff are expected to facilitate a culture of support and service, to model civility and respectful engagement at all times, to demonstrate the highest ethical standards across all facets of their work, and to maintain appropriate confidentiality.
- Preferred Education: Associate or Bachelor’s degree in a quantitative field
- Preferred Experience: 2 years of administrative experience at a university or research institute. Experience with Workday. Experience working in diverse workplace and/or with an international community. Experience with payroll management for international Student Workers.
- Preferred Skills: Ability to meet and manage deadlines; work independently and well under pressure. Strong organization and prioritization skills; demonstrated commitment to kind and patient customer service. Friendly disposition and can-do attitude.
This is a hybrid position with an anticipated 2-day in person schedule on USC’s main campus (3 days remote). This position is not eligible for fully remote work.
The hourly rate range for this position is $22.95 – $25.72. When extending an offer of employment, the University of Southern California considers factors such as (but not limited to) the scope of responsibilities of the position, the candidate’s work experience, education/training, key skills, internal peer equity, federal, state, and local laws, contractual stipulations, grant funding, as well as external market and organizational considerations.
Required Applicant Documents:
A resume/CV and a cover letter are required. Please feel free to upload your application materials in a single document.
USC and the Viterbi School:
The University of Southern California (USC), founded in 1880, is in the heart of downtown L.A. and is the largest private employer in the City of Los Angeles. As an employee of USC, you will be a part of a world-class research university and a member of the “Trojan Family,” which is comprised of the faculty, students, and staff that make the university what it is.
Founded in 1905, the USC Viterbi School of Engineering is named for Andrew Viterbi who developed an algorithm to connect the world’s citizens. Similarly, the school, located in Los Angeles, a global center for arts, technology and international business in the heart of the Pacific Rim, is a hub for entrepreneurship that connects students from 64 countries.
USC Viterbi is a pioneer in restoring sight to the blind; restoring memory to sufferers of Alzheimer’s; and socially assistive robots to aid seniors with stroke or children with autism. It is the home of the first operational quantum computing center in academia. Our alumni include Neil Armstrong, first human on the moon; A.C. Mike Markkula, co-founder of Apple; and Wanda Austin, former CEO of the Aerospace Corporation.
The USC Viterbi School is consistently ranked among the top graduate programs (U.S. News and World Report). Under the leadership of Dean Yannis C. Yortsos, the school helped re-imagine the 21st century engineer, pioneering the Grand Challenge Scholars Program in schools across the globe. Our mission is to serve California, the nation and the world. At USC Viterbi, we call this the enabling power of Engineering+.
USC is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law or USC policy. USC will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring ordinance. We provide reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. Applicants with questions about access or requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process should contact USC Human Resources by phone at (213) 821-8100, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Inquiries will be treated as confidential to the extent permitted by law.
Read USC’s Clery Act Annual Security Report
Certain positions are subject to background screening
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination
If you are a current USC employee, please apply to this USC job posting in Workday by copying and pasting this link into your browser: