Los Angeles, CA – Health Sciences Campus
Join our Administration Team as the Budget/Business Technician!
Institute and Team at USC:
USC is an award-winning workplace that offers a diverse community and values work/life balance.
The Southern California Clinical and Translational Science Institute (SC CTSI) is a research organization at the University of Southern California (USC) and Children’s’ Hospital Los Angeles (CHLA). Our mission is to support, promote and accelerate scientific discoveries and their application in real-life settings to improve health in diverse populations. SC CTSI develops and provides resources, services, trainings and tools in support of researchers, academic leadership and partners that collaborate to achieve this exciting mission.
The SC CTSI Central Administration team provides leadership, direction, and support to SC CTSI core groups in areas of strategic and financial planning, development and integration of programs and services, cross-program communications, human resources, contracts and grants, and space and facilities management. The Central Administration team supports SC CTSI core groups in Human Resources, Finance and Operations functions and ensuring our faculty, staff and stakeholders (e.g. collaborators, students, visitors, vendors, etc.) have the resources and information needed to serve SC CTSI research communities.
Under the direction of the Financial Reporting/Projects Manager, and the Human Resources & Operations Special Projects Manager, the Budget/Business Technician will support SC CTSI teams with various budget, finance, administrative operations, and HR and payroll functions. Responsibilities include but are not limited to the areas below. Special projects and other duties as requested or assigned.
- Supports purchasing activities for SC CTSI teams. Prepares internal requisitions, purchase orders, payment requests and credit card transactions for supplies & equipment, services, contractors and professional services. Tracks equipment purchases, contract end dates, and maintains employee inventory log.
- Monitors and/or tracks expenditures for intercampus and external vendors. Reconciles vendor statements, credit card statements and pays invoices. Interfaces with purchasing, external vendors and accounts payable to verify prices and resolve discrepancies.
- Processes travel and non-travel reimbursements and payments (honorariums, memberships, cash advances, etc.). Coordinates travel arrangements (flight and hotel reservations and meeting registrations)
- Processes expense transfers when needed and coordinate with Dean’s Finance Office and Sponsored Projects office to ensure completion and clear any discrepancies.
- Records financial and payroll transactions in department database. Maintains and reconciles electronic filing system.
- Downloads and prepares monthly university reports. Prepares and distributes monthly financial reports for pilot awards and training grants.
- Provides administrative and budgetary support for all core groups within SC CTSI as requested and assigned
- Supports recharge billing activities including preparing and distributing monthly invoices, collects, processes and follows up on payments.
- Review and update CTSI Finance Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) and reference guides.
- Other projects and duties as needed.
Human Resources and Payroll Support
- Supports SC CTSI HR team and managers in submitting requisitions, onboarding and off boarding activities. Collects documentation and prepares key, equipment and access for new hires. For offboarding, deactivate access, coordinates collection of equipment and ensure final checks and invoices are paid for staff and temp personnel. Provides final pay details to Finance Manager.
- Support payroll and human resource operation functions. Process Payroll Accounting Adjustments, Department Pay Authorizations, updates costing allocations.
- Submits On Demand Check Requests and Hours Input payrolls when applicable.
- Runs payroll and time tracking reports at the end of each bi-weekly, identify variances or discrepancies, resolve irregularities (e.g. enter missing time, duplicate entries, vacation, etc.). Researches and gathers data and create reports of payroll information and activities as needed.
- Attends HRPals and HRPA quarterly update meetings and report back relevant updates and information
- Helps existing and new staff with navigating Workday: enter time, set-up direct deposit, update Internal Title, and update contact information as appropriate.
- Reviews applicant portal, updates status, extends USC job listings as needed.
- Post ads to internal and external sites; submit receipts for payment; maintains copies in Recruitment files when needed.
- Run various Workday reports as needed.
- Other projects and duties as needed.
Operations and Administration Support
- When in office, performs administrative and reception duties including answering phone and in-person requests, accepting deliveries, assisting SC CTSI guests, maintaining and organize office supplies and coffee/break area, etc. Provides parking pass and map to visitors.
- Schedules and coordinates meetings and events as needed.Supports the quarterly events, celebrations, meetings; set-up and clean-up; catering and décor; creates email invitations, etc.
- Assists with scheduling meetings for Senior Director of Operations and Finance
- Coordinates with hiring managers and schedules interviews with candidates.
- Coordinates space and office related requests with USC Facilities Management and other central offices. Request meeting permits when needed.
- Update org charts and directories as applicable.
- Assist SC CTSI teams with IT needs and requests. Purchase equipment and set up IT access for staff, students, and temp staff (request Med accounts, shared drive access, IVIP access, hospital badge etc). Picking up and dropping off laptops with IT, coordinating appointments.
- Maintains SC CTSI inventory list of equipment.
- Special projects and other duties as needed.
Skills, Knowledge, and Experience
- Maintain a high degree of confidentiality
- Intermediate to Advance PC Skills in MS Office: Excel, Word, Outlook, Zoom, Google docs
- Excellent Communication Skills – Written and Oral
- Excellent customer service skills
- Organized and detailed oriented: ability to identify variances, typos, etc.
- 1+ years in previous experience supporting finance or accounting activities. Knowledge of accounts payable, income and expense account and reconciliation
- 1+ years in administrative support and customer service experience
- Exposure or experience supporting a human resources activity
- Problem identification and resolution
- Academic/grant management support experience
Minimum Education: High school or equivalent, Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education
Minimum Experience: 2 years
Minimum Field of Expertise: Directly related office financial experience to provide a knowledge of accounts payable, income and expense accounting and reconcilement, and budget preparation.
Performs a combination of duties related to the processing and monitoring of business transactions for an academic, research, administrative or auxiliary department.
USC is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law or USC policy. USC will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring ordinance. We provide reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. Applicants with questions about access or requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process should contact USC Human Resources by phone at (213) 821-8100, or by email at [email protected]. Inquiries will be treated as confidential to the extent permitted by law.
Certain positions are subject to background screening
If you are a current USC employee, please apply to this USC job posting in Workday by copying and pasting this link into your browser: