UT MAIN CAMPUS
Job Posting Title:
Finance Manager, Division of Diversity and Community Engagement
Office of the Vice President for Diversity and Community Engagement
Position Open To:
Weekly Scheduled Hours:
Earliest Start Date:
Jan 30, 2023
Expected to Continue
UT MAIN CAMPUS
Reporting to the executive director of finance and chief business officer and for the reporting units of the Division of Diversity and Community Engagement, assist as the point of contact for business processing including accounts payable and receivable, cash management, contracts review, donor gift/endowment/pledge management and reporting, records management and electronic office management including managing permissions and routing of units’ electronic desks for voucher and other financial and administrative systems. Responsibilities also include goal setting, business process improvement, financial reporting, budget administration, account reconciliations, and contracts & grants management and procard management. Help ensure a strong system of internal controls and risk management. Assist in delivering timely and accurate financial reporting to support programming and business operations. Perform various activities as part of the monthly and year-end close, forecast development, annual budget planning, and bidding processes.
- Supervisory, Staff Development & Team Building
- Teambuilding – Serves as a departmental resource for the Division, Business Contacts, stakeholders and team members on policies and procedures. Mentors and motivates financial analyst, DDCE Business Contacts, student employees in a team environment, leading them toward meeting the organization’s vision, mission, and goals. Demonstrates a strong commitment to diversity principles and fosters an inclusive workplace where diversity and individual differences are valued and leveraged to achieve the organization’s goals. Supports activities that ensure all student staff have an equal opportunity to use and develop their skills and abilities and/or develop new skills.
- Conflict Management – Adapts and is flexible and resilient in response to constraints, failures, and adversity. Proactively anticipates, manages, and constructively resolves conflicts and disagreements; identifies ways conflict can lead to positive change; and takes appropriate action to address conflict.
- Staff Development – Listens effectively and provides appropriate feedback. Trains and develops staff, provides constructive performance feedback and appraisals, and takes appropriate corrective action to address performance and conduct issues. Provide conflict resolution, appropriate delegation of tasks, conduct weekly team meetings with direct reports, manages employee relations, writes, and conducts staff evaluations. Uses discretion and demonstrates sensitivity to confidentiality concerns.
- Hiring & Recruitment – Assists in recruiting, development, and retention of a diverse, high-quality workforce.
- Delegation of Work – Ensures tasks are appropriately delegated and completed by monitoring performance against predetermined standards and requirements and holding staff accountable for meeting expectations. Adjusts priorities to multiple demands and unanticipated events and modifies decisions and actions in response to changing information and circumstances. Ensure that reception and common area spaces are maintained such as front desk area, copier/supply room and meeting spaces in suite. Assist with reporting trouble calls and assist with equipment inventory and check-out.
- Budget Administration, Financial Reporting, Forecasting, and Internal Controls
- Work collaboratively with the division’s Chief Business Officer and division’s Budget Contacts to facilitate the annual budget process.
- Close the feedback loop between forecast and actuals by conducting routine meetings with Budget Contacts to review analysis of actual spend versus budget and recommend improvements.
- Assist in developing and implementing short- and long-range financial strategies, provide updates on established Key Performance Indicators (KPIs), and other benchmarks in support of the Division’s mission and goals for units including the Chief of Staff, Academic Diversity Initiatives, Longhorn Center for School Partnerships and Community Engagement Center portfolios.
- Provides technical expertise and guidance to the division’s assistant vice presidents, directors, managers, administrative, and technical staff on allocation of income and expenses, monthly/year-end closing, correcting, and adjusting journal entries, and preparation of exhibits, schedules, and account reconciliations.
- Effectively utilize Business Intelligence tools (e.g., Microsoft Excel/Access, Cognos, Tableau, etc.) to support and monitor performance and financial benchmarks.
- Assist DDCE staff with obtaining proper access to financial and administrative systems (e.g., DEFINE, PointPlus, Worqs, Budget Update Document, commitments system, etc.).
- Procurement, Accounts Payable, Vendor Relations, Procard and Accounts Receivable
- Review and approve vendor payments to ensure proper coding of all expense transactions and budget authority.
- Maintain central procurement, inventory analysis and other supply chain data.
- In collaboration with DDCE buyers, conduct monthly review of encumbrances to ensure timely payment of vendors and disencumber funds when no longer needed.
- Review/follow-up on vendor statements and payments as needed. Serve as backup on voucher processing.
- Ensure that all services rendered are properly billed in a timely manner.
- Maintain accounts receivable aging schedules and collection of all outstanding accounts receivables. Document collection efforts on delinquent accounts.
- Research and ensure accuracy of revenue recognition.
- Travel Management, Logistics, and Event Management
- Provide oversight and support for those who process staff and student travel including flight arrangements, hotel arrangements, and transportation arrangements.
- Interpret and communicate domestic and foreign travel policies and procedures to ensure compliance and safety.
- Oversee and process travel arrangements, documents, and reimbursements as needed, for the leadership team, staff, and students.
- Provide support to senior staff with requests and initiatives, including joint programming with internal and external partners.
- Business Process Improvement
- Analyzes, researches, and recommends systems and process improvements to provide efficiencies and adequate controls through process reengineering.
- Serves as a departmental resource for the Division, team member, DDCE Business Contacts, DDCE IT, and other stakeholders on the development of policies and procedures and IT requirements for the development of a new organizational financial dashboard with financial reporting, trend, budget administration and forecasting to provide real-time managerial decision support, operational efficiency, cost savings and customer focus.
- Participate in various Workday HCM/Payroll implementation activities, business process design sessions, financial data model review, role mapping, end user testing, organizational alignment activities and other engagement and readiness activities to meet DDCE needs.
- Continuously evaluate internal payroll and Human Resources Services support processes for accuracy, efficiency, and effectiveness.
- Develops procedures for collecting and reporting financial, accounting, and statistical data
- Assist in developing Standard Operating Procedures and Financial Education and Training materials for DDCE stakeholders.
- Serve on various university wide committees as an advocate for the Division and resource collaborator with other colleges, schools, and units.
Bachelor’s Degree in the Accounting or Finance disciplines and 6 years experience in an accounting or financial management position or a combination of relevant years of experience. Customer focused. Highly effective interpersonal and writing skills are required. Consistently accomplishes high quantity and quality of work with minimal supervision. Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with cross-functional teams and be open to diverse perspectives. Makes timely decisions, meets deadlines, is reliable, adheres to specific work schedule and is punctual at attending meetings. Strong analytical and systems process analysis skills. Results oriented with strong prioritization and organizational skills. Proactively anticipates, manages, and constructively resolves conflicts and disagreements; identifies ways conflict can lead to positive change and takes appropriate action to address conflict. Committed to continuous learning and professional development. Willing to work irregular hours as needed. Advanced Microsoft Excel skills are required.
Relevant education and experience may be substituted as appropriate.
CPA or MBA in Accounting or Finance plus 3+ years relevant experience in a relevant Accounting or Finance position in a college or university setting. Familiarity with student travel abroad business processing, foreign tax, and foreign travel rules. Experience with ERP systems (e.g., Workday, PeopleSoft, Oracle) or dashboard development experience a plus. Experience using business intelligence tools such as Tableau or bookkeeping software.
$67,130 + depending on qualifications
May work in all weather conditions
Work around standard office conditions
Repetitive use of keyboard at workstation
Use of manual dexterity
Monday – Friday Flexible work arrangement is available
- 3 work references with their contact information; at least one reference should be from a supervisor
- Letter of interest
Important for applicants who are NOT current university employees or contingent workers: You will be prompted to submit your resume the first time you apply, then you will be provided an option to upload a new Resume for subsequent applications. Any additional Required Materials (letter of interest, references, etc.) will be uploaded in the Application Questions section; you will be able to multi-select additional files. Before submitting your online job application, ensure that ALL Required Materials have been uploaded. Once your job application has been submitted, you cannot make changes.
Important for Current university employees and contingent workers: As a current university employee or contingent worker, you MUST apply within Workday by searching for Find UT Jobs. If you are a current University employee, log-in to Workday, navigate to your Worker Profile, click the Career link in the left hand navigation menu and then update the sections in your Professional Profile before you apply. This information will be pulled in to your application. The application is one page and you will be prompted to upload your resume. In addition, you must respond to the application questions presented to upload any additional Required Materials (letter of interest, references, etc.) that were noted above.
Regular staff who have been employed in their current position for the last six continuous months are eligible for openings being recruited for through University-Wide or Open Recruiting, to include both promotional opportunities and lateral transfers. Staff who are promotion/transfer eligible may apply for positions without supervisor approval.
Retirement Plan Eligibility:
The retirement plan for this position is Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS), subject to the position being at least 20 hours per week and at least 135 days in length.
A criminal history background check will be required for finalist(s) under consideration for this position.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
The University of Texas at Austin, as an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.
The University of Texas at Austin will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
Employment Eligibility Verification:
If hired, you will be required to complete the federal Employment Eligibility Verification I-9 form. You will be required to present acceptable and original documents to prove your identity and authorization to work in the United States. Documents need to be presented no later than the third day of employment. Failure to do so will result in loss of employment at the university.
The University of Texas at Austin use E-Verify to check the work authorization of all new hires effective May 2015. The university’s company ID number for purposes of E-Verify is 854197. For more information about E-Verify, please see the following:
- E-Verify Poster (English) [PDF]
- E-Verify Poster (Spanish) [PDF]
- Right To Work Poster (English) [PDF]
- Right To Work Poster (Spanish) [PDF]
Employees may be required to report violations of law under Title IX and the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act). If this position is identified a Campus Security Authority (Clery Act), you will be notified and provided resources for reporting. Responsible employees under Title IX are defined and outlined in HOP-3031.
The Clery Act requires all prospective employees be notified of the availability of the Annual Security and Fire Safety report. You may access the most recent report here or obtain a copy at University Compliance Services, 1616 Guadalupe Street, UTA 2.206, Austin, Texas 78701.