The University of Virginia (UVA), one of the nation’s leading public institutions, seeks an experienced, dynamic, and mission-driven leader to be the next Assistant Vice President for Enterprise Applications (AVPEA). Reporting to the Vice President and Chief Information Officer (CIO) the AVPEA will provide strategic leadership and oversight to a diverse portfolio of critical enterprise applications that support various functions across the university. They will lead high-performing teams and work collaboratively across a large, complex institution. As a critical member of the Information Technology Services leadership team, they will be a champion for technology initiatives across the university and will be instrumental in supporting UVA’s strategic priorities during a time of ongoing transformation.
Working closely with the CIO and the university community, the following will be key priorities for the next AVPEA:
- Manage a large portfolio of higher education enterprise applications, including the core ERP (HR, Finance, and Student Information System) and supporting hardware infrastructure, integrations, identity management, enterprise data warehouse, and supporting ancillary systems.
- Maintain and communicate industry trends in next generation Student Information System (SIS) solutions with an understanding of how these emerging systems may meet UVA needs. Design and execute a strategy to collaboratively evaluate emerging trends in this space to include key stakeholders from across the university.
- Oversee the development and implementation of a modern identity and access management strategy.
- Oversee the development and implementation of a secure enterprise data warehouse suitable for supporting the varied reporting, analytics, and application development needs of stakeholders across the university. Work closely with data owners and UVA Institutional Reporting and Analytics to support the development and maturation of a data governance program.
The Assistant Vice President for Enterprise Applications will be directly and indirectly responsible for overseeing the following key areas:
Enterprise HR/Finance Applications:
- Collaborate with HR and Finance business partners on the strategy, implementation, and optimization of HR and Finance enterprise applications, ensuring their effectiveness in supporting the university's administrative functions.
Student Admissions, Records & Enrollment:
- Oversee the development and maintenance of systems supporting student admissions, records, and enrollment processes, ensuring efficiency and accuracy.
ERP Platform and Data Security:
- Manage the security of the ERP platform and associated data, implementing best practices to protect sensitive information.
- Demonstrated ability to run a large, complex organization within higher education or a similarly complex environment where shared governance is honored and valued.
- Demonstrated transformative and sustained impact on an organization.
- Excellent communicator, superb listener, with ability to build relationships, community, and influence.
- Experience analyzing costs, business cases, and risks associated with the selection and implementation of enterprise application solutions.
- Experience with strategic planning, project management, governance structures, and process transformation.
- Bachelor's degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, Business Administration, or a related field (Master's degree preferred).
- 5+ years of ERP experience including integrations, custom reporting, security management, and overall application/tenant management. Experience with Workday preferred.
- 5+ years of experience with ERP student systems.
- Demonstrate a high level of integrity, discretion, and confidentiality.
- Outstanding leadership ability and understanding of organizational and human dynamics.
- Ability to attract, recruit, develop, motivate, and retain a high-performing and diverse staff.
- At least 10 years of related experience, including managing a large enterprise applications or related team. A minimum of 7 years of progressive leadership experience in enterprise application management is required.
- Strong experience with leading teams and managing complex projects.
- Familiarity with modern technologies and trends in enterprise application management.
To Apply or Nominate
The University of Virginia is eager to build a diverse pool of talented individuals. The search committee is working with UVA Executive Search Group (ESG), an internal executive search firm in the Office of the President.
Confidential inquiries and nominations should be directed to Susan Gaines, Managing Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. To apply, submit a letter of interest and resume via Workday. The search will be carried out with full confidentiality and will remain open until filled.
The University of Virginia is fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspective and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, military status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.