The Institutional Research and Analytics (IRA) unit, reporting to the Office of the Provost, plays a crucial role in providing precise data, reliable information, expert analysis, and guidance on utilizing data to support the University's educational, research, and service objectives.
The BI Reporting Developer is instrumental in implementing reporting and analytical solutions that empower operational, planning, decision-making, and compliance activities at the University of Virginia (UVA). Operating primarily within the University Business Intelligence (UBI) platform, built on Qlik technology, the BI Reporting Developer excels in identifying accurate data sources, data modeling, coding, testing, creating data mashups, and designing user-friendly interfaces.
Reporting directly to the Associate Director for Data and Analytics, the BI Reporting Developer collaborates with a team of dynamic and experienced BI professionals within UBI, as well as cross-functional data practitioners, end users, and stakeholders from across the University.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Collaborating with the UBI team to develop engaging reporting and analytics solutions for stakeholders and clients throughout the University.
- Cultivating expert knowledge of University datasets and advising reporting analysts and stakeholders on appropriate visualizations and best practices, making full use of Qlik's cutting-edge functionality.
- Coordinating with teammates and the data warehouse team to optimize and deliver usable, accurate, and timely solutions, following iterative planning, design, and development principles.
- Performing data modeling, quality coding, and user interface (UI) design based on business and technical specifications.
- Designing, developing, and testing Qlik ETL scripts to import data from the data warehouse and other source systems.
- Conducting initial quality assurance activities before releasing reporting and analytics for user acceptance testing and assisting users during testing to address any issues.
- Creating and maintaining technical design documentation, managing code and application change control within the development environment, and participating in code reviews and performance testing to support ongoing UBI solutions development.
- Ensuring UBI supports the University's daily operational reporting needs.
- Collaborating with other reporting developers, including distributed analysts and developers, to promote best practices, conduct code reviews, provide consulting, troubleshooting, and development expertise.
- Pursuing continuous improvement strategies within IRA by identifying opportunities to enhance development processes and reporting solutions in terms of effectiveness and efficiency.
Required Experience and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, IT, engineering, business, finance, or a related field.
- At least 1 year of experience in developing Business Intelligence (BI) and Analytical Solutions using tools like Qlik, Tableau, Power BI, etc.
- Proficiency in HTML 4 and CSS.
- Strong skills in data visualization, data analytics, data modeling, and SQL.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills, with the ability to work effectively in a team-oriented environment.
- Proficiency with Qlik, including Qlik Sense and Qlik Analytics Platform.
- Proficiency in HTML 5.
- Experience with higher education data, especially Workday HCM and Finance, and/or PeopleSoft Campus Solutions is a plus.
- Experience with the Agile methodology is a plus.
- Effective communication to audiences with varying levels of expertise in BI and technical solutions.
To Apply: Search R0054094 in workday. Review of applications will commence on November 3rd 2023 and will continue until the position is filled. This is an Exempt level, benefited position. For more information on UVA's benefits, visit www.hr.virginia.edu/benefits. The salary range is $75,000-$80,000, commensurate with education and experience. This position does not sponsor applicants for work visas. The University will conduct background checks on all new hires before employment. This is a hybrid position, with mandatory office presence in Charlottesville, VA on specific days (currently Tuesday through Thursday) and the option to work remotely on Monday and Friday.
If you possess strong analytical skills, have a passion for higher education, thrive in a collaborative environment, and enjoy building effective data and analytics solutions using the latest technology, we want to hear from you.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.