Are you looking to make an impact and support the University of Virginia’s teaching, research, healthcare and public service mission? Are you someone that excels at the following:
• Values Diversity
• Customer Focused
• Clear Communicator
• Results Oriented
• Attention to Detail
• Interpersonal Savvy
If the answer to the above question is yes, then we have a career opportunity within UVA HR that we would like to discuss with you.
As a member of the Total Rewards Compensation Center of Excellence (COE) and integral part of the larger UVA HR Team, you will contribute to The University of Virginia’s success by designing, implementing, and managing complex compensation programs for given client groups in support of the University’s strategic plans.
We are seeking to fill a compensation specialist role within the Total Rewards Compensation COE. The role will be filled at the Compensation Specialist level.
Typical Responsibilities include:
- Provides professional guidance, coordination, and support in the effective and consistent application of staff job classification and compensation administration policies and practices.
- Assists team members in administering and maintaining various compensation-related data management systems, and coordinates/facilitates implementation of compensation programs and initiatives.
- Provides advice, training, and daily support to other Compensation Specialists, Recruiters, HR Business Partners, and the University community, in the application of compensation management principles, guidelines, procedures, and best practices.
- Provides guidance and training to Compensation Specialists, HR Business Partners, HR Solution Center and other HR team members on day-to-day compensation issues, policy interpretation, problem resolution, and compliance with university and health system regulations, and state and federal law.
- Provides integrated advice and consultation to HR Business Partners on strategic compensation management, organization and job design, individual compensation/classification concerns, and broader, associated human resources issues.
- Consults with internal partners and clients regarding requests for new or revised job classifications; evaluates need based on organizational or market factors and adds classifications to the UVA HR structure as appropriate, assessing appropriate pay grades using job evaluation methodology and market review.
- Provides expert guidance to HR Business Partners and others in the administration of the job classification/reclassification process; quality controls the process for both existing and newly created jobs, performing and/or directly reviewing job evaluations, position evaluations, and equity reviews, as appropriate.
- Oversees and quality controls the official job catalog database in Workday for the University and Health System, participating in the planning and design of job description policies, standards, and formats; develops and implements new or revised job descriptions, as appropriate.
- Evaluates the effectiveness of the University's compensation practices through internal and external research of performance benchmarks and critical indicators such as turnover statistics, recruitment success studies, equity studies, and salary range variance analyses.
- Reviews the University and Health System pay plans on regular basis to assess internal equity and competitiveness within the marketplace; develops strategies and recommends adjustments as necessary to support strategic plan and objectives.
- Accountable for overseeing the ongoing maintenance and integrity of the job catalog and job profiles within Workday; consults with HR Data & Technology partners regarding problems with Workday configuration and data integrity and makes recommendations for system enhancements.
- Assists in planning, developing, and coordinating implementation of large-scale job structure and market parity studies such as annual market, merit, living wage and base wage programs; leads and guides the implementation of large-scale job structure and market parity projects, as well as job restructuring programs and other strategic compensation projects that impact broadly on key operating facets of the University and Health System.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
This is a full-time, exempt-level position with UVa benefits. Employees benefits package highlights include:
- 22 days of paid time off, increasing with service; 13+ paid holidays each year, in addition to paid time off;
- Parental and Community Service Leave
- Health plan with options to meet healthcare and financial needs
- Retirement through the Virginia Retirement System
- Tuition and professional development benefits
- Employee wellness program featuring activities to earn up to $500/year.
The selected applicant will pass a background check.
- Education: High School Diploma, Bachelor's Degree Preferred
- Experience: 2 years relevant experience.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct job evaluation and compensation analysis including participating in salary surveys and analyzing market data, providing presentations/training regarding compensation programs, and conducting ad hoc reports and reasoning.
- The incumbent must be able to implement changes to compensation programs needed to comply with state and federal policies, laws, and regulations.
- The ability to build and maintain effective working relationships is a must.
- Proficiency with MS Office suite, particularly Excel, is required.
Anticipated hiring range: $70,000 – $85,000, commensurate with the candidate’s specific qualifications.
This is primarily a sedentary job involving extensive use of desktop computers. The job does occasionally require traveling some distance to attend meetings, and programs.
Please apply through Workday, and search for R0046286. Internal applicants must apply through their UVA Workday profile by searching ‘Find Jobs.’ Complete an application online with the following documents:
• Cover letter
Upload all materials into the resume submission field, multiple documents can be submitted into this one field. Alternatively, merge all documents into one PDF for submission. Applications that do not contain all required documents will not receive full consideration.
References will be completed via UVA’s standardized process SkillSurvey. A total of five references will be requested via SkillSurvey during the final phase of the interview process. A minimum of three is required. For questions about the application process, please contact Michele Jarman, Academic Recruiter.
COVID Vaccination Requirement and Guidelines
Please visit the UVA COVID-19 Job Requirements and Guidelines webpage prior to applying for current information regarding vaccination requirements and guidelines for employment at UVA.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.