The Senior Payroll Lead Accountant is a key professional in the Finance department, specializing in advanced Workday Payroll administration and ensuring the seamless integration of payroll processes. This role collaborates closely with the UVA Finance Workday Support team and plays a pivotal part in executing complex payroll calculations, reconciling payroll data with general ledger entries, and assisting in optimizing Workday Payroll configurations. The Senior Payroll Lead Accountant will also actively contribute to inter-company accounting processes, ensuring accuracy in financial transactions between different entities within the organization.
Working in tandem with the Senior Workday Payroll Analyst, the Senior Payroll Lead Accountant will be responsible for verifying precise and complex payroll calculations, including retroactive adjustments, bonuses, and special pay elements. Additionally, this role will actively contribute to optimizing Workday Payroll configurations, aligning Account Posting rules with general ledger requirements, and ensuring the accuracy of retirement plan contribution reconciliations. Finally, this role will be responsible for budgeting and monitoring the balances of the Fringe Pool, as well as monitoring balances for other critical University benefit plans.
Advanced Workday Payroll Processing:
– Verify posting rules for complex payroll calculations, including retroactive adjustments, bonuses, and special pay elements, utilizing advanced Workday payroll functionality.
– Collaborate with the Senior Workday Payroll Analyst and Finance department to reconcile payroll data with general ledger entries, addressing discrepancies promptly.
– Participate in the reconciliation of retirement plan contributions, ensuring accuracy and compliance with regulatory standards.
System Optimization and Advanced Configuration
– Collaborate closely with the Senior Workday Payroll Analyst to optimize Workday Payroll configurations, aligning Account Posting rules with general ledger requirements.
– Contribute to the enhancement of pay groups, earning codes, and deduction codes, considering the unique requirements of faculty, staff, and medical center employees.
– Support initiatives to integrate Workday Payroll with time tracking systems, ensuring accurate data flow and compliance.
Technical Issue Resolution and Root Cause Analysis
– Collaborate with the Senior Workday Payroll Analyst to conduct analysis of complex technical issues, utilizing Workday logs, reports, and debugging tools to identify root causes.
– Assist in maintaining a comprehensive knowledge base for troubleshooting and resolving technical payroll issues efficiently.
Custom Reporting and Analytics
– Support the design and implementation of advanced custom reports using Workday Report Writer, Prism Analytics, and external reporting tools.
– Contribute to the utilization of data extraction tools and queries for in-depth analysis of payroll data trends, providing insights for strategic decision-making.
– Collaborate with stakeholders, including the Senior Workday Payroll Analyst, in creating real-time dashboards for monitoring payroll metrics and key performance indicators.
Integration and Development
– Collaborate with the Senior Workday Payroll Analyst and IT integrations team to support the development and maintenance of robust integrations between Workday Payroll and other enterprise systems.
– Assist in validating and testing integration functionalities for seamless data exchange between Workday and third-party applications, ensuring data security and compliance.
– Contribute to collaboration with IT security teams for the implementation and maintenance of robust data encryption protocols for sensitive payroll information.
– Manage inter-company accounting processes, ensuring accurate financial transactions and reconciliations between different entities within the organization.
– Collaborate with finance teams across entities to resolve discrepancies and maintain integrity in inter-company financial reporting.
Payroll Accounting and General Ledger Integrity:
– Work closely with the Senior Workday Payroll Analyst to ensure accuracy in payroll accounting processes and adherence to accounting principles.
– Assist in the development and maintenance of payroll accounting procedures, including documentation of reconciliation processes and general ledger integrity checks.
– Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or a related field.
– Minimum of 5 years of hands-on experience in payroll accounting, preferably in a large-scale environment.
– Proficiency in Workday Payroll or similar payroll systems desired
– Knowledge of payroll tax regulations, retirement plan contributions, and compliance requirements.
– Strong analytical skills and attention to detail.
– Relevant certifications (e.g., Certified Payroll Professional – CPP and/or CPA) are highly desirable.
This position will remain open until filled. This is an Exempt level, benefited position. This position will not sponsor applicants for work visas. Anticipated Hiring Range: $80k – $100k per year commensurate with education, experience, and internal equity. The University will perform background checks on all new hires prior to employment. For questions about the position or the application process, please contact Daniel Strong, Senior Recruiter at email@example.com
How to Apply:
Applications that do not contain all of the required documents will not receive full consideration, please note that multiple documents can be uploaded in the box.
Process for External Applicants: Please apply here. Complete an application online and attach a cover letter, CV/resume, and contact information for three references (name, email address, telephone number, and address).
Process for Internal UVA Applicants: Please apply through your Workday Home page, search “Find Jobs,” and search for ‘R0055421.’ Complete an application online and attach a cover letter, CV/resume, and contact information for three references (name, email address, telephone number, and address).
Education: Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, or related field
Experience: Four years of accounting experience
This is primarily a sedentary job involving extensive use of desktop computers. The job does occasionally require traveling some distance to attend meetings, and programs.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.