Winston Salem, NC
External Applicants: Please upload your resume on the Apply screen. Your application will automatically populate your resume details, and you may verify and update data on the My Information page.
Please add your cover letter and any other documents required for the position to the Resume/CV document upload section at the bottom of the My Experience application page. Use the Select Files button to add multiple documents including your cover letter and supporting documents. The My Experience page is the only opportunity to add your cover letter and supporting document attachments. You will not be able to modify your application after you submit it.
Current Employees: Apply from your existing Workday account. Do not apply from the website. Log in to Workday. Click on the Career Worklet and select Find Jobs. Locate the position and click Apply. Update your Education and Job History.
** Cover letter required for all positions and optional for facilities, campus services, and hospitality positions unless otherwise specified.
Job Description Summary
The Student Financial Services Accountant is responsible for performing accounting functions in order to maintain the fiscal reporting integrity of the University Accounts Receivable accounts. Responsibilities include account reconciliations, preparation of year-end audit schedules, monthly billing of mortgage receivables, preparing interest tax forms, calculation of sales tax on meal plans and preparing meal plan payments for dining services. This position coordinates with business partners in various University departments to resolve differences found in accounting reconciliations.
- Analyzes, reconciles, and maintains accounts receivable financial accounts.
- Reconciles financial discrepancies by collecting and analyzing account information. Makes correcting journal entries when appropriate.
- Prepares year-end schedules and reports for external auditors related to accounts receivable accounts.
- Student enrollment-billing reconciliation. Reconciles enrollment data vs. billing data.
- Works on special accounting projects for financial leadership and University business partners.
- Acts as the accounting liaison for Student Financial Services when dealing with financial leaders across the University. Ability to be accessible, informed and professionally engaged.
- Prepares monthly invoice payments for meal plans (includes working closely with the dining service provider in order to reconcile accounts).
- Prepares journal entries for sales tax liability on meal plans.
- Prepares journal entries to record revenue for departments who accept payment via the student campus card.
- Approves 1098T tax transactions flagged through the Accounts Payable Department.
- Performs back up duties for a variety of processes including, but not limited to cashiering, third party billing and 1098T tax form generation.
- Oversees the monthly mortgage process including preparation of interest tax forms and payoff statements.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Education, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or business with concentration in accounting and three years of related work experience.
- Exceptional critical thinking skills in areas of responsibility.
- Capability to clearly analyze and interpret financial data to aid in efficient reconciliation of accounts.
- Ability to reconcile subsidiary accounts to the general ledger by providing appropriate backup and meeting all monthly deadlines.
- Advanced skills in Excel such as sorting, filtering, indexing and the use pivot tables.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize position responsibilities in order to meet established deadlines.
- Demonstrates a high degree of independent decision-making skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google Workspace computing tools.
- Knowledge of computerized accounting systems used in financial and/or accounting applications. Experience with Workday Financials is a plus.
- Ability to interact with internal and external auditors, participating in auditing projects, or providing information and access to accounting records as required.
- Ability to organize workflow and coordinate activities.
- Evaluate processes and implements efficiencies in the area of responsibility.
- Highly effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Superior customer service skills.
- Ability to work positively in a demanding, high volume, fast-paced, team-oriented student service environment both independently as well as collaboratively.
- Knowledge of university policies, procedures, and generally accepted accounting principles.
- Demonstrated commitment to the University’s values and mission.
- Ability to keep University records confidential.
Preferred Education, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Experience in finance and accounting in a higher education environment.
- Experience with Ellucian Banner & Workday Finance.
Additional Job Description
Wake Forest University requires proof of full vaccination with an FDA approved or authorized COVID-19 vaccine for all positions posted on or after September 13, 2021. Wake Forest University requires that you provide satisfactory proof of full vaccination status to Human Resources within three days of your hire date. You must also maintain full COVID-19 vaccination status, as classified by the CDC, during your employment at Wake Forest University.
Consistent with federal, state and local law, Wake Forest University will consider accommodations for disability- and religious-based reasons unless providing an accommodation would result in an undue hardship to the University.
If you seek an accommodation from the vaccination requirement for disability- or religious-based reasons, you should contact Human Resources.
New employees who are hired into positions posted prior to September 13, 2021, offers of employment made to new employees prior to that date, and employees for positions at Graylyn Conference Center are generally exempt from the vaccination requirement unless the employee’s position is otherwise subject to a vaccination requirement due to the essential components of the position as described in Policy.
Time Type Requirement
Note to Applicant:
This position profile identifies the key responsibilities and expectations for performance. It cannot encompass all specific job tasks that an employee may be required to perform. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and perform job-related duties as may be reasonably assigned by his/her supervisor.
In order to provide a safe and productive learning and living community, Wake Forest University conducts background investigations and drug screens for all final staff candidates being considered for employment.
Wake Forest seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce while promoting an inclusive work environment committed to excellence in the spirit of Pro Humanitate. In adherence with applicable laws and as provided by University policies, the University prohibits discrimination in its employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, genetic information, disability and veteran status and encourages qualified candidates across all group demographics to apply.