Winston Salem, NC
External Applicants: Please upload your resume on the Apply screen. Your application will automatically populate your resume details, and you may verify and update data on the My Information page.
Please add your cover letter and any other documents required for the position to the Resume/CV document upload section at the bottom of the My Experience application page. Use the Select Files button to add multiple documents including your cover letter and supporting documents. The My Experience page is the only opportunity to add your cover letter and supporting document attachments. You will not be able to modify your application after you submit it.
Current Employees: Apply from your existing Workday account. Do not apply from the website. Log in to Workday. Click on the Career Worklet and select Find Jobs. Locate the position and click Apply. Update your Education and Job History.
** Cover letter required for all positions and optional for facilities, campus services, and hospitality positions unless otherwise specified.
Job Description Summary
This position is responsible for analyzing, configuring, maintaining, and training for systems and applications within the Finance & Administration Division. Position partners with supported units to analyze business and user needs, document requirements, design and implement application features, and define best practice business processes. Position acts as a liaison between Information Systems and supported units, including Student Financial Services.
- Configures and administers supported applications to meet campus requirements. Analyzes and documents business processes and needs, understands the scope of modifications, creates effective design specifications, and participates in the development and testing/evaluation of system design, integration and reporting efforts. Serves as the Finance Systems lead for the Workday SIS implementation (specifically around Student Accounts).
- Provides project management expertise for supported units for system implementations and business process enhancements. Develops detailed plans, ensures targets are being met and communicates with customers on a routine basis.
- Ensures that interfaces between applications to ensure that data is flowing efficiently and correctly between the systems. Performs data clean-up activities when data becomes out of sync.
- Evaluates system impact as a result of available upgrades, including patches/fixes, and business change requests. Leads discussions with users to assist them with understanding impacts and how to appropriately perform user acceptance testing for upgrades. Performs testing in collaboration with users, Information Systems, and third parties for supported application upgrades and any business process enhancements.
- Leads the investigation and resolution of application issues encountered by users. Logs support incidents to software vendor and coordinates timely problem resolution with user and/or Information Systems staff as needed. Acts as a Workday Named Support Contact.
- Participates in Workday and Banner governance activities. Chairs the Workday Financials/Planning Community of Interest and is a member of the Workday Initiative Team. Via the Community of Interest, builds a continuous Workday-related improvement roadmap that is scheduled and executed. Participates in the Student Services Engagement Team (the cross-functional Banner administrative group).
- Develops user documentation and trains users on supported applications for both the initial rollout and new features and enhancements implemented during upgrades. Provides advanced end user system support and troubleshooting.
- Develops, maintains and reviews application security access for departmental and campus users to ensure internal controls are maintained systematically and data is protected from unauthorized access. Accountable for executing and getting approval for non-Workday security reviews on a rolling basis (e.g. weekly, quarterly and annual reviews).
- Consistently promotes best practices, high levels of customer service and implementation of customer’s strategic goals.
- Oversees the ongoing maintenance of the Financial Services’ web presence. Coordinates any large-scale upgrades with Communications & External Relations.
- Meets regularly with HRIS, Financial Aid and the Registrar’s Office to ensure that a strong cross-functional relationship exists with these important partners. Also meets with Information Systems routinely to ensure a strong relationship.
- Manages, trains, and develops staff. Sets annual performance goals for direct reports and measures staff performance to goals.
- Provides overall Finance Systems leadership in the absence of the Director.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Education, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in a business, accounting or computer science-related field and at least ten years of experience implementing and/or maintaining ERP systems in a finance or accounting function and related applications or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of project management methodology and practices.
- Knowledge of ERP systems (e.g. Workday, Ellucian Banner) and in particular the Workday Finance and Banner AR modules.
- Knowledge of reporting applications (preferably Workday, Cognos and Power BI). Advanced knowledge of SQL and ability to author complex SQL statements.
- Ability to manage the relationship and coordinate the work of external software vendors.
- Ability to maintain the security and confidentiality of any proprietary or sensitive data in any medium regarding the university or its students, faculty, or staff.
- Knowledge of the Google Suite and Microsoft Office (including Access and Visio).
- Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills are required; must have the interpersonal finesse to interact effectively within the organization and with external suppliers.
- Demonstrated organizational skills, a detail orientation, and a proven ability to follow projects and issues through to completion.
- Ability to work in a team environment both as a project leader and participant.
- Must be comfortable in an environment that places high emphasis on continual improvement, teamwork, and excellent customer service.
Preferred Education, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Familiarity with higher education administration current best practices and leading edge technologies.
- Demonstrated accounting knowledge.
Additional Job Description
In furtherance of the University’s commitment to resuming operations in a manner consistent with or similar to how those operations were conducted prior to the pandemic, and in an effort to protect the health and safety of the campus community, all faculty and staff are required to be fully vaccinated with an FDA approved or authorized COVID-19 vaccine. Faculty and staff with disabilities or sincerely held religious beliefs that preclude vaccination should contact Human Resources to request a reasonable accommodation.
Time Type Requirement
Note to Applicant:
This position profile identifies the key responsibilities and expectations for performance. It cannot encompass all specific job tasks that an employee may be required to perform. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and perform job-related duties as may be reasonably assigned by his/her supervisor.
In order to provide a safe and productive learning and living community, Wake Forest University conducts background investigations and drug screens for all final staff candidates being considered for employment.
Wake Forest seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce while promoting an inclusive work environment committed to excellence in the spirit of Pro Humanitate. In adherence with applicable laws and as provided by University policies, the University prohibits discrimination in its employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, genetic information, disability and veteran status and encourages qualified candidates across all group demographics to apply.