Winston Salem, NC
External Applicants: Please upload your resume on the Apply screen. Your application will automatically populate your resume details, and you may verify and update data on the My Information page.
Please add your cover letter and any other documents required for the position to the Resume/CV document upload section at the bottom of the My Experience application page. Use the Select Files button to add multiple documents including your cover letter and supporting documents. The My Experience page is the only opportunity to add your cover letter and supporting document attachments. You will not be able to modify your application after you submit it.
Current Employees: Apply from your existing Workday account. Do not apply from the website. Log in to Workday. Click on the Jobs Hub and select Browse Jobs. Locate the position and click Apply. Update your Education and Job History.
** Cover letter required for all positions and optional for facilities, campus services, and hospitality positions unless otherwise specified.
Job Description Summary
The Senior Finance Specialist works with minimal supervision and assists the Assistant Dean, Finance and Administration in providing financial and administrative direction to departments, programs, and activities. This position is also responsible for the coordination and management of finance operation processes for the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences which includes budget and financial planning, cash management, invoicing, financial analysis, procurement and purchasing, gift administration, grant administration, risk management, and project management. Position manages graduate student employment hiring and cost allocation. The analyst provides financial support and direction to the Graduate School faculty and staff and requires an exceptionally high level of discretion due to exposure and access to confidential and sensitive information.
- Manages Graduate student hiring and payroll process in collaboration with WFU Human Resources.
- Directs the administration of student scholarships in collaboration with the WFU Financial Aid Office.
- Preparation of ongoing budget to actual related financial reports on operating, gift, and grant funds; monitors actuals versus budget; advises senior administration regarding variances and salary/operating issues impacting the budget.
- Performs data and trend analysis via data downloads from Workday Finance into spreadsheet and/or business intelligence tools, with responsibility for developing applicable templates, financial models, dashboards, and reports.
- Provides ad hoc financial analyses to senior administration as requested; performs information research and analysis as needed for special projects, new programs, and ventures in the University.
- Ensures accurate processing of cash, checks and invoices related to School specific activities.
- Manages use of operating, gift, and grant funds, in partnership with relevant School and University stakeholders, to ensure risks are adequately managed and compliance with established policies, procedures, and restrictions.
- Executes processes, events, and other finance operation experiences that align with the school’s strategic vision, in collaboration with faculty and staff.
- Collaborates and engages with colleagues, particularly the GSAS Admissions and Registrar teams, and those serving in other functional areas within the School and University to realize excellence.
- Supports Assist Dean during University forecast and budget process.
- Works with third party vendors on reconciliations and payments for online programs.
- Provides centralized contact for all finance questions from Graduate School faculty and staff.
- Creates and communicates policies and procedures, as required.
- May supervise or direct work of junior staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Education, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience in Accounting, Finance, or related discipline.
- Two to four years of progressively responsible related experience
- Proficiency in Excel, Word, and Google Suite (sheets and docs)
- Solves problems that are generally not recurring in nature and that require innovative thinking/reasoning and in-depth analytical skills.
- High degree of professionalism, integrity, and dependability with the ability to maintain the security and confidentiality of any proprietary or sensitive data.
- Works independently and with minimal supervision with the ability to work long hours, when needed.
- Ability to foster a cooperative work environment, possess conflict resolution and/or mediation skills.
- Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills, must have interpersonal finesses to interact effectively within the University and with external vendors.
Preferred Education, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience with Workday Finance and HCM.
- Familiarity with higher education administration current best practices.
Additional Job Description
Time Type Requirement
Note to Applicant:
This position profile identifies the key responsibilities and expectations for performance. It cannot encompass all specific job tasks that an employee may be required to perform. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and perform job-related duties as may be reasonably assigned by his/her supervisor.
In order to provide a safe and productive learning and living community, Wake Forest University conducts background investigations and drug screens for all final staff candidates being considered for employment.
Wake Forest seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce while promoting an inclusive work environment committed to excellence in the spirit of Pro Humanitate. In adherence with applicable laws and as provided by University policies, the University prohibits discrimination in its employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, genetic information, disability and veteran status and encourages qualified candidates across all group demographics to apply.