Salt Lake City Office – Flex/Office
If you’re passionate about building a better future for individuals, communities, and our country—and you’re committed to working hard to play your part in building that future—consider WGU as the next step in your career.
Driven by a mission to expand access to higher education through online, competency-based degree programs, WGU is also committed to being a great place to work for a diverse workforce of student-focused professionals. The university has pioneered a new way to learn in the 21st century, one that has received praise from academic, industry, government, and media leaders. Whatever your role, working for WGU gives you a part to play in helping students graduate, creating a better tomorrow for themselves and their families.
Job Profile Summary:
The Financial Data Analyst is responsible for performing a wide range of data analyses, data collaboration, financial systems administration, financial reporting, budgeting, forecasting and benchmarking for the Finance team and other organizations within WGU. This person serves as Finance’s primary steward of financial data and systems used to provide business decision support throughout the university ecosystem.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
25% – Data Sourcing, Integration and Analysis
- 10% – Collaborate with Accounting, Institutional Research, EdTech and other organizations to obtain accurate, timely financial and operating data and ensure the integrity of data and systems used by Finance in reporting and analysis.
- 10% – Design, develop, analyze, distribute and monitor KPIs to assist Finance Business Partners and other assigned organizations with their reporting.
- 5% – Track and investigate significant or unusual financial trends; highlight findings to Finance and management.
40% – Planning, Forecasting and Other Business Decision Support
- 15% – Support annual budgeting, periodic forecasts and business development plans for Finance and other organizations as needed.
- 15% – Assist Finance with the development and monitoring of university, functional, college, program and course level financial budgets, forecasts and actual results. Design, develop and model expense allocations (departments, colleges, programs, courses etc.).
- 10% – Support Finance and organization leaders in making timely and appropriate business decisions. Provide financial analysis and reports as requested, including financial business cases (ROI, breakeven, projections modeling, etc.) for proposed programs, projects and initiatives.
30% – Systems Implementation, Dashboards, Standardized Reporting
- 15% – Serve as lead for Finance in data transfer and ongoing enhancement of the Workday financial tool as well as implementation of a new budget planning tool still to be purchased. Ensure data integrity, mapping and reporting meet the highest standards.
- 15% – Create, maintain and update online dashboards and reports with financial and operational data. Design, implement and maintain better financial analysis, reporting and inquiry tools. Create self-service platforms for end-users consistent with Finance’s strategic initiatives.
5% – Benchmarking
- 5% – Benchmark WGU financial and other operational metrics against other universities and/or other relevant entities. Assist with the preparation and submission of industry reports.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skill and Abilities:
- Significant experience with Enterprise Resource Planning systems and database management.
- Knowledge of Business Intelligence practices and systems (e.g., Tableau, Domo, Qlik) highly valuable.
- Expertise using Excel and other financial reporting applications, including strong modeling skills.
- Strong knowledge of best financial analysis practices, tools, and techniques.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving abilities. Intellectual curiosity.
- Flexibility, ability to work with ambiguity and manage change.
- Able to organize, coordinate and direct projects and to lead innovative, strategic initiatives.
- Strong oral and written communication skills in working with senior organization leaders.
- Responsible for implementing initiatives and projects established by university or department leadership; establishes strategic, operational plans for department, function, or office with short to mid-term impact on results.
- Delivers measurable input into new processes, standards, or plans that impact the achievement of overall university or department results.
Problem Solving & Decision Making:
- Leverages a systems-thinking approach for improving existing processes and systems using significant conceptualizing, reasoning, and interpretation.
- Problems and issues faced are numerous, may not be clearly defined, and may have missing information. Conducts extensive investigation to understand the root cause. Problems span a wide range of difficult and unique issues.
Communication & Influence:
- Collaborates cross-functionally across the University or department and typically has responsibilities for communicating with external parties.
- Works to influence others to accept the job area’s views, practices, concepts, and approaches.
- Requires ability to communicate with executive leadership regarding matters of significant importance to the University. May conduct briefings with leaders within the University or department.
Leadership & Talent Management
- Responsible for providing guidance, coaching, and training to other employees across the University within the area of domain-specific expertise. Provides direction to project team members, including feedback on performance.
- Demonstrates the WGU leadership principles in all aspects of service to students, employees, and partners of WGU.
- 10+ years of related experience with a Bachelor’s degree, or 6+ years and a Master’s degree, or a Doctorate or Terminal degree with 3+ years of experience.
- 5-10 years of experience accessing, manipulating and analyzing data using medium- to large-scale ERP systems.
Department Specific Minimum Qualifications:
- Corporate Accounting experience
- May have broad knowledge of project management.
- Flexibility to work outside of normal business hours on occasion as needed to meet deadlines.
- Workday/Adaptive Planning experience or other financial planning tools such as Hyperion or Cognose.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.
Disclaimer: This Job Description has been designed to indicate the general nature, essential duties, and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this classification. It does not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications that are required of the employee to do this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. This Job Description does not constitute a contract of employment and the University may exercise its employment-at-will rights at any time.
As an equal opportunity employer, WGU recognizes that our strength lies in our people. We are committed to diversity.